Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Ginger Pudding

I'll be honest, I stole this recipe. I didn't adapt it, I just stole it. And it is hands down my favorite Thanksgiving dish (except this year it's getting a run for its money given my new happiness with my Savory Holiday Bread Pudding!). Part of my love affair with this recipe is making it in my Mama's lidded gold baking dish from Gump's, which has always held a special magic as she would whip the lid off to reveal my favorite cinnamon-topped bread pudding.

Here is the beauty of my recipe theft, from the well-worn Williams-Sonoma Thanksgiving book in my Stepmom's pantry:

Sweet Potato Ginger Pudding

2 lb. yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes, unpeeled
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teasp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites

1. Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook until tender, 30-40 minutes. Drain and let cool.

2. Meanwhile, preheat an over to 350. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Butter a 2-qt. souffle dish or baking dish.

3. Peel the cooled potatoes and place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process to a smooth puree. You should have about 2-1/2 cups. Transfer the puree to a large bowl and stir in the lemon zest, salt and crystallized ginger. Then stir in the cream and add nutmeg to taste.

4. In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the egg whites until soft folds form. Add about one-fourth of the beaten whites to the potato mixture and stir in well to lighten it. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the remaining whites, being careful not to deflate the mixture. Spoon into the prepared dish.

5. Bake until risen and slightly golden on top, 40-50 minutes. Serve immediately.

Serves 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment